Monday, May 3, 2010

There may not be an I in TEAM, but there is one in PR (kind of).

So I did my first BRICK this weekend. For those of you who do not know what that means (I found out myself a couple weeks ago) a BRICK is a training session that incorporates two of the three triathlon events. On Saturday, my friend (who totally acted like she was out of shape and then continually left me in the dust and was forced to stop and wait on my slow butt)and I rode for about 17 miles and then attempted to run for 3 (yeah right). I felt good during the bike ride (I was just real slow) and I actually felt like I could have kept on riding, but when we got back to her house, parked the bikes, and began our jog (which went from "let's do three miles," to "let's just do one," to "let's just jog around the block so our legs can get a taste") MY LEGS WERE JELLO. I was fighting the mental battle the whole time. "DO NOT STOP!!" "I have to stop" "DO NOT STOP" "I just need to walk for a second" and so forth it went... I jogged until I lost sight of Danny only to find her again running in and out of cul-de-sacs waiting on me :) I gave in. We walked and talked and once I got my wind back, we finished strong and jogged back to her house.

I much as I am moaning right now, I really am enjoying the feeling of getting back in shape. This weekend, I felt sore for the first time in a few years. I mean two-a-day sore. It was nice. I also love cross training. I am really enjoying the biking and swimming. Danny and I were talking (during one of the few times we were close to each other on the bike ride) that we have totally been conditioned to HATE running. It was always a punishment for us during our basketball days. We both really have to work hard to get running miles in because it is so grueling to us.

Let me just say that I am alright with being the slow person. I am in PR world now (this means personal record) (just learned that too). It is much more enjoyable than my athletic experience in the past. Before, there was the pressure of being responsible for your teammates; and the pressure of letting others down if you did not perform well. I do not feel that now. There is an I in PR (kind of).

No comments: