Disclaimer: Every Pregnancy is different. Every person is different. This post is not meant to elevate one kind of delivery above another. We have to all birth in the environment that we feel the most comfortable in. That is what is best for the baby. These are just my thoughts about MY pregnancy.
Over the last several months, the Lord has really changed our hearts about the way that we introduce Harper to the world. For the first few months of our pregnancy, we were both kind of numb to any type of understanding that we actually had choices to make about this pregnancy and birth. We just thought we were supposed to go with the flow and trust our doctor. After all, doctors are the experts. About four months in, however, we began to get a little discouraged the way we were treated at our huge OBGYN practice. Our doctor called us her "easy" parents, and spent about three minutes per visit with us. We needed more. We began to do some research.
Although doctors ARE experts, and we certainly need them; they are experts in pathology. We have a completely normal pregnancy (thank you Lord). The concept of a natural childbirth with a midwife began to come at me from all directions. I researched and researched and researched and came to the conclusion that this may be a good route for us to take with our next baby :) (once I get one under my belt). Cory was supportive of me, but the more I thought about it, the more this question began to rise within me: "If you know that this method is best for the baby, what is keeping you from giving this gift to Harper?" the answer was fear. I was afraid of the pain. I knew that the right thing to do was to turn my fear over to the Lord and take a step of faith.
We visited the Birth Center shortly there after for a consultation. I asked the Lord to give Cory and me peace about which way to go. As we walked around the place, we both felt immediately settled. When we were in the birthing suite, Cory just looked at me and shook his head "yes". At 30 weeks, we officially transferred our care to the Charleston Birthplace. We could not be happier. I have never been a hospital person. They give me anxiety as soon as i enter the door. I immediately fell in love with the idea of delivering in a place that was like a home. The calmness of an environment like the birthing center trumped the hustle and bustle of a hospital....BY FAR... AND there is a possiblity that we may be the only family there at the time of Harper's delivery. We are very excited about bringing Harper into the world this way.
For more information about The Charleston Birthplace, click this link: http://www.charlestonbirthplace.com/
Along with testimonies from friends, here are some links that helped me realize that natural childbirth was the right option for me.
http://www.birthingnaturally.net/index.html
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/business-being-born/ (this is a full length movie, fyi)
more to come about this topic...
3 comments:
I love this, Jessie. We'll be praying for you along these lines. I would've loved to birth this way, but the birthing center (I think we visited the same one. Is it in N. Charleston) doesn't take high risk, so we decided against it. Anyway, I'm happy for you! I hope this all pans out just the way you want it!! Also, I just can't get over the name Harper. I love it!!
Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:6 NLT
Believing with you for a perfect birth experience! This couldn't be more appropriate. Love you Jess, anxiously awaiting the arrival of little Miss Harper. Lisa
How awesome! I'm so thrilled for you and cannot WAIT to meet sweet Harper Michele! I loved reading your post and hearing how the Lord is leading you!
Post a Comment